If you are like many (us included), you probably thought the teal pumpkins people have been displaying on their stoops and balconies are just to be trendy and spice up Halloween a little bit. But not so fast. Thousands of homeowners and renters around the country – and the world – are participating in the Teal Pumpkin Project this Halloween for the second year in a row. Launched by Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) in 2014, the Teal Pumpkin Project aims to raise awareness about food allergies and encourage the inclusion of non-food treats for trick-or-treaters. In 2014, households from all 50 states and 7 countries participated in the project, which is impressive to say the least. This year, The Cheney Group encourages you to join the movement and support children with food allergies this Halloween. If you own a home in Frisco, Little Elm, Plano, or elsewhere in North Texas, you are likely preparing for Halloween night, are we right? If you live in one of the many family-friendly communities throughout our area, we invite you to pledge to participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project and do your part in ensuring all kids can have a safe and enjoyable Halloween!
So, what’s the deal? By taking the pledge and joining hundreds of thousands of other households in the Teal Pumpkin Project all you will need to do is the following:
- Provide non-food treats for trick-or-treaters (think glowsticks, bracelets, stickers, etc)
- Paint a pumpkin teal and place it in front of your home or in a window
- Print (or make your own) sign to indicate you have non-food treats available (download FARE’s printable sign here)
It’s super easy to take part in this important project, as you can see! By proudly displaying a teal pumpkin for everyone to see in front of your Frisco home, you will be showing your support of children with life-threatening food allergies and helping to create a safe and happy Halloween for everyone.
Why You Should Support the Teal Pumpkin Project
Here are a handful of reasons (if you need more!) why you should participate alongside The Cheney Group to support the Teal Pumpkin Project:
- You will be showing your support for the 6 million children who have food allergies worldwide. It is no secret that kids LOVE Halloween, but unfortunately this holiday can be quite dangerous for many kids, unbeknownst to many homeowners. The Teal Pumpkin Project allows for the inclusion of kids living with food allergies, with as a reason to participate in itself.
- It’s fun and looks cool! Teal pumpkins are fun and exciting for everyone – from the homeowner who got to tap into their creative side and paint the pumpkin to the kids and parents who spot one on a neighbor’s house. This project is a wonderful way to connect with others in your neighborhood in an entirely new way.
- Halloween candy isn’t necessarily healthy. We all love candy, especially kids, but it isn’t always the healthiest option, and is quite dangerous for some. By giving out non-food treats like stickers, necklaces, and small games, you will be providing kids in your Frisco community with an exciting holiday, without all the health concerns.
These are just a couple of the reasons why we think the Teal Pumpkin Project is such a great cause. If you are a homeowner in North Texas, take the pledge and stand with The Cheney Group in support of kids with food allergies. Let’s have some fun with this, too – we would also love to see your teal pumpkin displayed on your porch – just share to our Facebook page and use the hashtag #CheneyOnTheGo. Looking forward to seeing how creative our North Texas homeowners can get!